The meaning of voluntary, voluntarily, or volunteer:
- Done or undertaken of one’s own free will
- Acting or done willingly and without constraint or expectation of reward.
- Normally controlled by or subject to individual volition
- Capable of making choices; having the faculty of will
- Supported by contributions or charitable donations rather than by government appropriations.
In today’s economy crisis, one could not just volunteer such a huge amount without asking something in return, one spent that money because somebody promised things in exchange with the money spent out. And since one required that, it is not voluntarily at all yet it is an obligation. Between the two words, could you state the difference?